Thursday, February 28, 2013

Children with technology... good or bad?

In a recent article I just read from the New York Times Antisocial Networking.  In this article I found out that teens and kids spend about 7 1/2 hours a day on phones or the computer.  Researchers do not know for sure how it will affect kids because they haven't done enough research.  But what i found interesting about this article were the people arguing for and against technology.  I was surprised to find that a lot of parents were okay with their kids always being on their phones.  Some parents think that its easier for them to make plans with and get in touch with them through texting.  Other parents like it because sometimes their kids are shyer and it is easier for them to branch out and make more friends.  But on the other side parents thought that their kids aren't making as good of connection as they did when they were kids.  Reading this made me really think about how kids on their phones all the time might be a good thing.  These parents brought up good points and I thought about how personally its so much easier to just text my mom from where i am then call her.  I am very split on this situation and i feel like having technology all the time is something that can be good or bad just depends on the circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this blog because this controversial idea has been going on for awhile. I agree with both the pros and cons of technology although I believe that young children should not be using as much technology as they do. Children should be playing outside or doing something active. This will help them expand their creativity and show them technology is not everything. This blog shows the positives and negatives of technology and I agree with these statements. Since technology does not affect kids in a negative way, it should not be taken away from them.

    ReplyDelete